Credit for Work ExperienceWork experience = credits!
Your work experience may count as credits toward your degree, saving you time and money.
Unity College Distance Education students may apply to earn credit for experience outside of coursework.
- Graduate students may only receive up to six credits towards a degree program through Credit for Prior Learning.
- Undergraduate students may receive up to 30 credits toward a program through Credit for Prior Learning and no more than a total of 90 credits combined with Prior learning and Transfer credits.
Here are ways you may qualify to receive credit for prior learning experiences:
- Credit for professional licenses and credentials earned
- Credit of a prepared portfolio documenting skills and knowledge
- Credit for exams, trainings, or certifications received
If you choose to submit a portfolio, please include the following items:
- Course Information – Includes the learning outcomes for the specific course you are challenging.
- Summary Sheet – Matches each course learning outcome to your experience and supporting evidence.
- Resume and Biographical Essay – Provides an overview of your learning experiences related to the course.
- Narrative – Demonstrates how you have achieved each course learning outcome.
- Documentary Evidence – Supports your claims to knowledge of the learning outcomes.
Next Steps for requesting credit for prior learning
- Contact the Distance Education Concierge regarding your intent to apply for credit for prior learning.
- Send material to be evaluated (see list above) and pay a non-refundable fee of $500 per course you are requesting. Federal loans cannot be used to pay this fee. Payment must be processed before we will evaluate your materials.
- Within 30 days, we will review your material and give you a final decision.
For more information, please contact the Distance Education Concierge at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 509-7155.