Online Concentration in Adventure EcotourismIncrease your marketable skills
Make your dream a reality!
Applying is fast, free, and easy!
Next Start Dates:
March 30, 2020
May 4, 2020
May 25, 2020
July 6, 2020
Request more information
Distance Education Concierge:
100% Online: Concentration in Adventure Ecotourism
A concentration in Adventure Ecotourism is available to all programs.
- Improve your job readiness by learning additional skills necessary in today’s workplace, while working towards your undergraduate degree.
- Concentrations appear on your transcript and diploma so future employers know what skills you’ve acquired.
- One-on-one academic and professional advising Our world-class faculty and trained staff strive to make your professional and academic goals a reality.
- Unity College is an accredited institution by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
- Study when and where you want and finish your degree while still working full-time.
- Make professional connections with leaders in your field.
- Get job placement assistance through our career development department.
- Eight start dates per year
To obtain this concentration, complete the following courses:
TOUR 201 Recreation, Sport, and Ecological Tourism
Ecological tourism is a growing arm of the tourism industry intended to incorporate natural areas using low-impact and sustainable approaches to build tourism opportunities and drive economic growth. This course introduces students to the fundamentals of tourism and differentiates between recreation, sport and ecological tourism businesses and assesses the economic, social, and environmental costs and benefits associated with adventure-based ecological tourism businesses.
TOUR 203 Minimal Impact Tourism for a Sustainable World
In a world where we have access to some of the most remote places on earth, how do we explore these sensitive ecosystems with as little impact as possible on the landscape and the native people in order to maintain the integrity of the system for others to enjoy in the future? In this course students will draw on historical and current practices in ecological tourism to understand the best practices, sustainable solutions and ethical decision making principles to develop a business plan for a sustainable ecotourism business.
TOUR 301 Ecotourism Risk Management and Legal Liability
An integral component to running any business is to have a thorough understanding of risk management and legal liability. In this course students will gain an understanding of the legal liabilities associated with running an ecological tourism business and apply ethical decision making into business planning and practice. Students will develop strategies to mitigate circumstances that may pose risk to the public and/or environment and write a risk management plan for a proposed ecological tourism business.